Kernel 2.4.30: lvm suddently stopped working :(

Hello,

It seems my message never arrived in the list, so I repost it...

Today we rebooted a debian testing server (no updates made for a long time
- never change a running system) and suddently lvm stopped working. It
worked yesterday...

SERVER:~# vgscan
vgscan -- LVM driver/module not loaded?

I _know_ lvm is built into the kernel, not as a module. But /proc/lvm
doesn't exist and the following doesn't look good either

SERVER:~# strace vgscan
[...]
open("/dev/lvm", O_RDONLY)              = -1 ENODEV (No such device)
[...]

No such device - how is this possible if the driver is built into the
kernel ?

I have this config :

# Multi-device support (RAID and LVM)
#
CONFIG_MD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_MD=m
CONFIG_MD_LINEAR=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID0=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID1=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID5=m
CONFIG_MD_MULTIPATH=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LVM=y

Some time later: OK, now I compiled lvm as a module, modprobed it and all
is fine.
Well, nearly all. I really need to know why lvm stopped working in the
first place...

Many thanks,

Markus Grunwald