Re: compile kernel for remote machine

On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 08:34 +0200, Brent Clark wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Would anyone know how I can compile a kernel for my remote machine on
> my machine.
> Baring in mind they are both debian machine and both running 2.6
> kernel and both running testing.

Since they are both Debian machines, you should install kernel-package
and use it to make debs of the kernel image that can be installed like
any other package.

apt-get install kernel-package
cd .../kernel-source-2.6.x
make-kpkg --revision=1 --append-to-version=.remote kernel-image

This makes the package ../kernel-image-2.6.x.remote_1_xxx.deb which you
can install on your remote machine.  (--append-to-version is optional,
but lets you distinguish a kernel image targetted on your remote machine
from any other of a different configuration.)

Things would be more complicated if the remote machine had a different
architecture.

Oliver