Re: rsync won't stop password prompt

Rob Brenart wrote:
> I'm trying to script an rsync process and I keep getting the password
> prompt... here's my "script"
>
> rsync -avz -e /usr/bin/ssh --password-file=/home/username/pwd.rsync

The --password-file option is not useful with ssh as the transport.
See the man page:

       --password-file
              This option allows you to provide  a  password  in  a  file  for
              accessing  a  remote rsync server. Note that this option is only
              useful when accessing an rsync server using the built in  trans‐
              port,  not  when using a remote shell as the transport. The file
              must not be world readable. It should contain just the  password
              as a single line.

If you want automated batch mode use of ssh you will need to use ssh
keys without a passphrase.  Because the files are not encrypted and do
not have a passprase they must be protected with filesystem level
protection.  Any user that can read those files can use it to access
the remote system.

Bob