Re: rsync won't stop password prompt

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 12:03:29AM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Rob Brenart wrote:
> > I'm trying to script an rsync process and I keep getting the password
> > prompt... here's my "script"

> If you want automated batch mode use of ssh you will need to use ssh
> keys without a passphrase.  Because the files are not encrypted and do
> not have a passprase they must be protected with filesystem level
> protection.  Any user that can read those files can use it to access
> the remote system.

There is a safer way to accomplish this sort of thing, using ssh-agent.
You set up ssh with a passphrase, then arrange ssh-agent to run on the
backup machine.  You'll need to logon *once* to that host and run ssh-add to
provide ssh-agent the means to know the key values, which are stored in
memory (in a named pipe) rather than on disk.

Package keychain automates/simplifies much of this.

Ken

--
Ken Irving, fnkci@uaf.edu
University of Alaska, Fairbanks