Re: Upgraded kernels, now eth0 and framebuffer are gone

M Carlock wrote:
> I recently upgraded from woody to sarge per the
> instructions (aptitude etc), which was successful.
>
> However, after then upgrading the kernel from
> 2.2.20-idepci to 2.6.8-2-386, I found I could boot OK,
> but I'd lost eth0 and the ATI framebuffer.
>
> lspci can see both devices, but I'm at a loss as to
> how to make the kernel see them again.
>
> modprobe eth1349 seems to work OK.  modprobe eth16i
> fails, no hardware found.  The card is a 3c905.

Install 'discover' and 'hotplug' and that should take care of most of
your problems.  Those are hardware discovery programs.  They will map
the hardware found to the current device drivers.  Very nice.

If you have the 2.6 kernel installed then install 'udev' too since it
makes for a nice /dev management.

> This must be a common question, but after a fair
> amount of googling I haven't been able to spot an answer.

Hopefully this answer will add to the google hits.

Bob