Re: Upgraded kernels, now eth0 and framebuffer are gone

Mark Fletcher wrote:

M Carlock wrote:

I recently upgraded from woody to sarge per the
instructions (aptitude etc), which was successful.

However, after then upgrading the kernel from
2.2.20-idepci to 2.6.8-2-386, I found I could boot OK,
but I'd lost eth0 and the ATI framebuffer.

lspci can see both devices, but I'm at a loss as to
how to make the kernel see them again.

modprobe eth1349 seems to work OK.  modprobe eth16i
fails, no hardware found.  The card is a 3c905.

This must be a common question, but after a fair
amount of googling I haven't been able to spot an answer.

___________________________________________________________ To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com

Did you use a stock kernel or did you build your own? If you built your
own, let's be having your .config file. If you used the stock kernel, it
probably ought to be working but anyway  pls post your lsmod and dmesg
output. What I'm looking for is evidence of what net drivers it tried to
load. If it can't find your network card now either the right driver is
missing or else a dependency has crept in (classic example -- Intel
EtherExpress cards using the original driver now need an extra source
module called pci-scan which isn't in the kernel source tree...)

As someone else pointed out in this thread, a possibility is that the
module name has changed. If the driver was being loaded as a module
before and you had it set up in /etc/modules to load on startup, and now
the module isn't there because its name has changed, the kernel could be
failing to load the module. What we need to do in that case is find out
what the module is called now and check it's in /etc/modules -- then a
reboot might fix the problem.

Mark

Just poked around in the 2.6 kernel source -- the driver you want is 3c90x. Quickest way out of your predicament for your network card should be to add a line saying 3c90x to /etc/modules (you need to be root to do this) and then reboot. When editing /etc/modules (note I do NOT mean modules.conf here) you might as well go ahead and comment out (using #) any other drivers that are obviously network drivers (except mii if it's listed) -- but if unsure, leave it alone. When your machine comes back up your network card should be working.

It's possible to do this without a reboot -- it would involve "modprobe 3c90x" as root and then stopping and restarting network services -- but I'm assuming if networking is bejiggered you have no remote users so rebooting the machine isn't a big hassle...

Mark