emacs syntax colorizing only comments and strings in ruby-mode

Help!

When editing Ruby code, emacs syntax highlighting is only colorizing
strings and comments!  Somehow I managed to hit some keys (in emacs)
that made the colorizing work correctly earlier today, but when I
quit and restarted emacs the nice colors went away.

I've tried removing my .emacs file.

I've tried adding these to my .emacs file:
  (setq font-lock-use-default-fonts t)
  (setq font-lock-use-default-colors t)
  (setq font-lock-maximum-decoration t)

Here are the emacs packages I have installed:
ii  emacs21        21.4a-1
ii  emacs21-bin-co 21.4a-1
ii  emacs21-common 21.4a-1
ii  emacsen-common 1.4.16
ii  psgml          1.3.1-13
ii  ruby-elisp     1.8.2-1
ii  ruby1.8-elisp  1.8.2-7sarge1

I *think* I had the same problem with the php-elisp package before I
removed it because it wasn't highlighting anything.

Any suggestions?
David