Re: lame not in the debian package repository?

http://ursine.ca/Top_Posting

On Wednesday 17 August 2005 08:57 am, Javier-Elias Vasquez-Vivas wrote:
> On 8/13/05, Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> wrote:
> > On Saturday 13 August 2005 10:05 pm, Rishi wrote:
> > > Just curious. Any reasons why the 'lame' package is not included in
> > > the debian package repository?
> >
> > Thanks to BMG Music, all MP3 encoders are non-free.  Try a
> > patent-unencumbered format like Ogg Vorbis instead.
>
> How about flac?  Is there any comparisson between flac and Ogg in
> terms of compresion and sound quality?

Well, FLAC aims to be lossless, so I would estimate compression to be
practically nil (I could be wrong; don't know about FLAC).  Haven't heard or
seen comparisons between the two formats.

I do know the odds of finding a portable Ogg Vorbis player is slightly better
than that of finding a portable FLAC player, though.