Re: lame not in the debian package repository?

On 17. August 2005 at 10:37PM -0700,
Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> wrote:

> On Wednesday 17 August 2005 08:57 am, Javier-Elias Vasquez-Vivas wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks to BMG Music, all MP3 encoders are non-free.  Try a
> > > patent-unencumbered format like Ogg Vorbis instead.
> >
> > How about flac?  Is there any comparisson between flac and Ogg in
> > terms of compresion and sound quality?
>
> Well, FLAC aims to be lossless, so I would estimate compression
> to be practically nil (I could be wrong; don't know about
> FLAC).  Haven't heard or seen comparisons between the two
> formats.

My "real life" tests tell me FLAC compresses to better than 50%
of a .wav ripped from a digitally recorded (DDD) "classical"
music CD. That is, the file size is effectively halved. The ratio
can get as good as 1/3 of the file. "Remastered" analog
recordings (AAD or ADD) fare slightly worse.

Not as good as Vorbis or MP3, where you typically get 1/10th
compression. But for archiving my audio CDs, there's simply no
substitute. It's a different matter if I'm looking to have the
music available in a "portable" format. Then I settle for Ogg
Vorbis.

> I do know the odds of finding a portable Ogg Vorbis player is
> slightly better than that of finding a portable FLAC player,
> though.

More like orders of magnitude better. I now see Ogg Vorbis
players from non-niche manufacturers like Samsung (which
manufactures everything from TVs to washing machines).