Re: weird characters

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 07:26:14PM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Vikki Roemer wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > My problem is, after I had to reboot (computer overheated again),
>
> what overheated ??

Ok, the problem is, I have a processor that runs hot, and I have as many
fans as possible in the system (including putting an 80mm case fan on the
CPU with an adapter), and it still tends to overheat.  It will not shut
itself down-- if it gets to the point where it *should* shut down, the
system hangs.  I can tell when it's overheating because cron and a few other
progs stay running even after they should've stopped (I'll end up with ~1000
instances of cron clogging my system), and pon/poff won't work-- either
it'll lose the connection and not even bother redialing or i'll try to
disconnect and it won't.  So what ends up happening is I have to powercycle
the system.  I have had the HDD get corrupted from overheating before if I
let it sit too long (one of the times the bios gave the shutoff command and
made the system hang).  So that could've happened again.  Or, it could be
the utf-8 thing because the characters started messing up in mutt a couple
days before it overheated.  I'm not sure.

As for the whole overheating thing, as soon as I can get out of school,
get a job, and save up some money, I'm buying a P4 and getting the other
hardware from my fiance and rebuilding the system-- he has all the hardware
for a decent system sitting in his closet except a harddrive, a powersupply,
and a processor.  So that'll be taken care of in a couple months.

What I'm trying to decide is, do I need to reinstall?  I'm assuming from
your reply that my problem is due to HDD corruption.

--
Vikki Roemer        Homepage: http://neuromancer.homelinux.com/
Registered Linux user #280021   http://counter.li.org/

Did you know ...
    That no-one ever reads these things?

PGP fingerprint: 0A3E 0AE4 CCD9 FF31 B4BB  C859 2DE1 B1D8 5CE0 1578
Keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/