Re: CD file copying problem with kernel 2.6

On 17. August 2005 at 12:22AM -0400,
Ryan King <rking@panoptic.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 06:55:01PM -0700, persall88@sbcglobal.net wrote:

> > I dual boot this computer to Debian 3.1 Sarge with kernel 2.6
> > and Windows 2000. Some time ago I created some VCDs on the
> > Windows 2000, using Nero, on a Sony CDRW. Now I tried to copy
> > the video file, named avseq01.dat, from the VCD, and it fails
> > every time.  I can copy the file easily to Windows 2000, but
> > with Debian Sarge it fails.  Does anybody have a solution for
> > this problem. I don't think it's a CD hardware problem,
> > because I can copy the files from the CD using Windows
> > 2000. This Debian Sarge, as I said, has kernel 2.6, and it
> > uses ide-cd, the latest. Also, I can copy relatively small
> > files from the VCD to linux, but as soon as I try the big
> > ones, say 400 mb, it fails. Maybe there is a timeout or a
> > buffer setting somewhere that I could tweak to get this to
> > work. Anybody know?

See below.

> Hrmmm... what are you using to copy the file under Linux, and
> what kinds of failures is it giving?

Rather than relying on standard OS utilities the OP should use a
specialized application like vcdimager (vcdxrip) mplayer (option
-dumpstream) or vlc to extract the mpeg data. Cdrdao and CDRecord
(readcd) can clone the VCD itself. I don't know what sort of
trickery Windows uses, but I believe VCDs contain mostly raw data
streams similar to the ones found in audio CDs (which can be made
to appear as files by a clever file browser or burn application).