Re: Onstream SCSI backup

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 02:30:41PM +0100, Gabe Granger wrote:

> On 16 Aug 2005, at 13:23, Philippe Marzouk wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 12:17:10PM +0100, Gabe Granger wrote:
> >

> >>From devices.txt (distributed with the Kernel sources), /dev/osst0
> >>is a
> >>
> >character device with major 206 and minor 0.
> >
> >There are other devices for other modes:
> >/dev/osst0l : c 206 32
> >/dev/osst0m : c 206 64
> >/dev/osst0a : c 206 96
> >/dev/nosst0 : c 206 128
> >/dev/nosst0l : c 206 160
> >/dev/nosst0m : c 206 192
> >/dev/nosst0a : c 206 224
> >
> >I own a DAT tape drive which uses the standard st driver, the
> >meaning of
> >the different modes is configured in /etc/stinit.def from the mt-st
> >package.
> >
> Many thanks for your reply, I notice that you refer to mt-st and /etc/
> stinit.def of which i have neither.  YOu also mention kernel
> sources.  I guess moving forward.
>
> Do i need to compile my own kernel? and as I'm missing these files is
> there a procedure I should be following to set things up properly. or
> apps that I need that I'm not aware of.

kernel sources is for the devices.txt file, you don't need it was just
to tell you where you can find the information in case you'll for this
kind of information later on. As long as the osst module supports your
hardware you don't need to compile your own kernel.

mt-st and stinit.def are installed with the mt-st package so:

aptitude install mt-st

I hope it works for OnStream devices too...

> the /dev/ stuff you've listed I know have any of why is that? how can
> i change it so that the correct devices show up?.

you create these devices with mknod:

cd /dev
mknod --mode 0660 osst0 c 206 0
and repeat this command changing the name and minor number with the one
I gave you above.

then you can change the group ownership to the tape group and add your
user to this group:
chgrp tape /dev/osst* nosst*

to add yourself to the tape group:
adduser <youruser> tape

replacing <youruser> with your login.

You'll need to logout for your new group rights to work.

Philippe