Re: Onstream SCSI backup

On 16 Aug 2005, at 13:23, Philippe Marzouk wrote:

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 12:17:10PM +0100, Gabe Granger wrote:

I have a Onstream SCSI backup drive attached to a Adaptec AIC7XXX
card. I'm having problems access the device as I'm now really sure
what I should be doing, I've done some hunting around the Net but
haven't as yet found anything that has helped.

on boot up i see this

scsi0 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.36
        <Adaptec 2902/04/10/15/20C/30C SCSI adapter>
        aic7850: Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 3/253 SCBs

(scsi0:A:4): 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 7)
  Vendor: OnStream  Model: SC-50             Rev: 1.09
  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
st: Version 20040403, fixed bufsize 32768, s/g segs 256
st: Found incompatible tape at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
st: The suggested driver is osst.

I can load the module for osst, but there is no /dev/osstx.  I've
tried running MAKEDEV -n -v update but get the following

/sbin/MAKEDEV: don't know what "osst" is

I'm at a real loss, any / all help trying to get this thing working
would be great.  I'm using Debian 3.1 on kernel-image 2.6.8-2.

All I'm really wanted to do is use it to backup my Maildir folders.

From devices.txt (distributed with the Kernel sources), /dev/osst0 is a

character device with major 206 and minor 0.

There are other devices for other modes:
/dev/osst0l : c 206 32
/dev/osst0m : c 206 64
/dev/osst0a : c 206 96
/dev/nosst0 : c 206 128
/dev/nosst0l : c 206 160
/dev/nosst0m : c 206 192
/dev/nosst0a : c 206 224

I own a DAT tape drive which uses the standard st driver, the meaning of
the different modes is configured in /etc/stinit.def from the mt-st
package.

Philippe