Re: Problem with Korean involving fonts and fontconfig

On Sunday 14 August 2005 03:27, Chuck Williams wrote:
> I'm new to i18n and font issues in Debain.  I've loaded
> xfonts-baekmuk package to get Korean fonts, along with the relevant
> scim and uim packages for a Korean input method.  The font files are
> properly installed into /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/.  dfontmgr
> verifies that they are installed according to defoma.

Try the ttf-unfonts package. The Unfonts are nicer than baekmuk. :)
And they are recognized by fontconfig.

> Also, I've loaded openoffice.org-I10n-ko to get Korean fonts in
> openoffice and attempted to configure things, but the Korean fonts do
> not show as available in the fonts list.  Also, Tools Hangul/Hanja
> conversation... menu item has appeared, but clicking it does nothing.

This depends on the font if it supports this feature or not. AFAIK the
Hangul/Hanja conversion is simply a substitution feature in OTF/TTF. If
the font doesn't support this (and I guess they don't, because it's a
lot of work to do the mapping), then the OO.o function won't work.

Cheers
Arne
--
Arne Götje (高盛華) <20030910antispam@gmx.net>
(Spam catcher.  Address might change in future!)