Re: Problem with Korean involving fonts and fontconfig

Arne Götje (高盛華) wrote:
On Sunday 14 August 2005 03:27, Chuck Williams wrote:

I'm new to i18n and font issues in Debain.  I've loaded
xfonts-baekmuk package to get Korean fonts, along with the relevant
scim and uim packages for a Korean input method.  The font files are
properly installed into /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/.  dfontmgr
verifies that they are installed according to defoma.

Try the ttf-unfonts package. The Unfonts are nicer than baekmuk. :)
And they are recognized by fontconfig.

Ahh, much better!

Also, I've loaded openoffice.org-I10n-ko to get Korean fonts in
openoffice and attempted to configure things, but the Korean fonts do
not show as available in the fonts list.  Also, Tools Hangul/Hanja
conversation... menu item has appeared, but clicking it does nothing.

This depends on the font if it supports this feature or not. AFAIK the
Hangul/Hanja conversion is simply a substitution feature in OTF/TTF. If
the font doesn't support this (and I guess they don't, because it's a
lot of work to do the mapping), then the OO.o function won't work.

I've got Thunderbird, Openoffice, Xemacs, etc. all working with Korean now.  Part of this was having ttf-unfonts so that fontmanager could find Korean fonts, and part was just my discovering how to properly activate the input method in each case.  I uninstalled uim to simplify things as it isn't required to use scim.  I'm still getting the funny initial errors in xemacs, but they are not that annoying and all works after skipping past them -- will try to figure that out at a later time.  Perhaps it is emacs attempting to find fonts every language in list-input-methods.  I don't have fonts for all of them.

감사합니다,

Chuck
Cheers
Arne