installing from somewhat broken 3.1

After installing Debian 3.1 I have found that a whole bunch of apps were
not installed at all.  I would like to reinstall a fresh distro, but want
to ensure that I don't have the same problem of missing apps (e.g., almost
all the man pages).  I think that I must have misinterpreted the
installation instructions during the install process.  Is there a baby
version for those of us who are missing a marble or two from the old set?

sam