Samba causes problems when computer sleeps

I am running debian-sarge, with the 2.6 kernal.  I've installed samba, and it
connected just fine to my Windows LAN, and I can mount my Windows drives
(win2k), copy files back and forth, etc.  Works like a charm.

Except...

If I leave a Windows drive mounted, and the computer goes to sleep, all kinds
of problems result.  The first time it happened, I completely lost the task
bar.  Nothing was left but a blank panel all the way across the screen.  I
managed to open a command window from the desktop, but as soon as I minimized
it, it too disappeared.  After trying various other things to recover, I
finally did a hard reboot, then had to manually do a chdsk on all the drives.
Eventually eveything came back up, and I vowed never to leave a Windows drive
mounted on Samba again.

Yeah. Best laid plans...

I did it again a couple of nights ago.  After I woke the computer, the mouse
cursor was frozen on the screen.  Using keyboard commands, I ended the session
and logged back in, but that didn't do anything but reset the computer clock
back 5 hours. ?!?  So I rebooted, and got a command prompt instead of the
desktop.  There were no glaring errors that I could see during startup, but I'm
very new to Linux and don't know where to look.  I'm guessing the output of the
startup is saved somewhere, but I don't know where to find that, either.

And these problems ~only~ happen when I have Samba running, and have a Windows
drive mounted.  So, aside from this being an obvious bug, can anyone help me
recover so I can get back my desktop (KDE)?

Thanks!
Mitch