bootup freezes at the stage of starting crontab

Hi debianers,

I customized kernel 2.6.12 and compiled it. I noticed two abnormal behavoirs:

vfat partions can't be automatically mounted and there is no such devices
like /dev/hda1 in /dev. I have configured vfat as built-in in kernel image
and I think this has to do with udev or makedev. But I am not sure.

the second problem is related to this:

I guess ttys are not created as well. When loading the last daemon: cron, the
system just hungs there and no login prompt appears.

What's wrong with my kernel configuration or is there any packages I didn't
install for this new kernel? What is necessary for kernel 2.6.12 to create
devices in /dev

regards

bxuef

--
dhammapada says:

  Even if previously careless, when a man later stops being careless, he
  illuminates the world, like the moon breaking away from a cloud. 172