Re: ddclient at startup

Daniel McBrearty wrote:
Anyone using ddclient that knows how to configure it to run after reboot?

At the moment I start it manually. I looked atthe deb policy manual
about scripts to be added to /etc/init.d and the scripts that come
with ddclient don't seem to fit (ddclient doesn't accept the start,
stop and so on args).

If I just have some arbitrary commands to be executed at
startup/shutdown, where should I put them? is that the "good way"?

I dpkg-reconfigure ddclient to run when ppp starts.

It does not seem right to run it from /etc/init.d because it is only useful (?) in cases where the ip address changes all the time, like in a dialup line, and you want to point that changing ip address to a permanent URL. But not every boot brings up ppp. It depends on why I boot.

E.g. in my case I have a dialup line, I doubt DSL will ever come to Esquipulas, and I run a server: esquipulas.homeunix.com It is ddclient who keeps that straight and points that name to my changing ip address that ddclient transmitted to www.dyndns.org.

One of the "thank yous" in this age of commerce goes to the free services that make ddclient possible.