Re: Manipulation debconf database and package unatteneded installation and configuration (locally)

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:46:25 +0300, Anton Liaukevich wrote:

> I'm administering only my local computer and, fortunately, don't need to
> clone my installation  to many machines. But I want to backup the
> debconf database (configdb) in order to automatically preconfigure some
> (but not all) packages getting answers from my backuped db.

Exactly! I've been trying to find the very same solution for ages. Tried
and failed many times...

> Project for experiment on: slapd (from Sarge)
> File with database  backup: newbackup.dat (db name: newbackup;
> driver=File, obviously)
>
> To backup the debconf database (configdb) I simply run:
> debconf-copydb configdb newbackup --config=Name:newbackup
> --config=Driver:File --config=Filename:newbackup.dat
> It always runs successfully creating full backup of the configdb db
> (config+passwords).

Some extra input:

1. You may have known that there is another approach to save/restore the
debconf database -- debconf-get-selections/debconf-set-selections:

==== SYNOPSIS

       debconf-get-selections [--installer]

==== DESCRIPTION

Output the current debconf database in a format understandable by
debconf-set-selections.

To dump the debconf database of the debian-installer, from
var/log/debian-installer/cdebconf, use the --installer parameter.

debconf-set-selections - insert new default values into the debconf database

2. I don't like the debconf Dialog frontend, I always use the readline
interface.

3. I do have noticed some packages that will ask you the very same
question again and again, despite I've set the default values into
thedebconf database...

Just my 2c.
Really hope there is a good solution to this.

Good luck.

tong