Re: Debian Partitioning Problem

Erick Delgado wrote:
Dear Debian,
I'm currently having a problem when I install Debian and end up on the partition section. For some odd reason everytime it loads up my hdd it shows 33.8 for both hdd I have. The master hdd is 40gb and the slave is 80gb. I don't know why does it pick up as RAID? Windows & Ubuntu pick it up as 40gb and 80gb. Before anything I once was configuring my hdd with the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools CD to do a partition and by mistake both my hdd ended up as 40gb.

Can you please help me? I don't want to use Windows. I'm dying to get rid of it.

The following is helpful for making a backup of your partition table in case something goes wrong:

      Making a backup of the partition entries

We will save all the partitions entries (both primary and logicial ones
which appear in the extended partition). In this example, we'll be
assuming that hda (the first IDE hard disk) is to be backed up.

First, we will save the MBR with DD (GNU convert and copy)

    * cd /root
    * mkdir partition-backup
    * cd partition-backup
    * *dd if=/dev/hda of=backup-hda.mbr count=1 bs=512*

It will produce a very small, but very important file: 512 bytes of
data. Now, we will save entries of the extended partitions:

    * *sfdisk -d /dev/hda > backup-hda.sf*

sfdisk is a tool provided with the util-linux
<http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/> package.

*IMPORTANT!* You should now put these files somewhere safe - copy them
to a floppy disk (and take a copy of it!), or burn them onto a CD. Keep
these files safe. Do not leave them on your hard drive - if there is a
problem with th drive, you may not be able to access these files, and
while your partition images won't be wortheless, it will certainly be a
lot harder to restore your data.

      Restoring partition entries from the backup

Be careful, restoring is a dangerous action - it can destroy data!
First, we will restore the Master Boot Record:

    * *dd if=backup-hda.mbr of=/dev/hda*

Then, here is how to restore extended partitions entries:

    * *sfdisk /dev/hda < backup-hda.sf*

To finish, you will have to reboot your computer.