Re: Squid: problems with authentication of a user

On Wednesday 10 August 2005 12:03 pm, Romulo Sousa wrote:
> I got a problem during the authentication process from my squid.
> THe following erro message comes up my screen when I edit my
> squid.conf:
>
> "Invalid Proxy Auth ACL 'acl remotenetwork proxy_auth my_user'
> because no authentication schemes are fully configured.
> FATAL: Bungled squid.conf line 14: acl remotenetwork proxy_auth
> rssousa Squid Cache (Version 2.5.STABLE10): Terminated abnormally.
> squid."

It took me an extremely long time to understand PAM authentication in
squid.  This is where the documentation really could use an example,
and one of those things that will make for great list archive fodder.

This is what works for me:

auth_param basic program /usr/lib/squid/pam_auth
auth_param basic children 5
auth_param basic realm Adzapping Squid
auth_param basic credentialsttl 1 week
acl password proxy_auth REQUIRED
http_access allow password

This uses the pam_auth program that comes with squid, spawns 5
instances of that program, tells squid to call itself "Adzapping
Squid"[1], and creates an ACL allowing people who "log in" to the
squid to use it as an HTTP proxy.

> Another doubt: is there any way to throw the messagem away from the
> bottom when the service is stopped?
> "Generated Tue, 09 Aug 2005 23:13:53 GMT by my_isp.com
> (squid/2.5.STABLE10)" ??  The objective is avoid certain
> reconnoissance of my machine.

This one is in the FAQ.
http://ursine.ca/cgi-bin/dwww?type=file&location=/usr/share/doc/squid/FAQ-10.html#ss10.24

[1] I also use adzapper at my squid.  If advertisers want to use my
bandwidth, they damn well better be paying me for it because nobody
invited them...