Re: udev and kernel 2.6.12

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 03:40 +0200, Manu wrote:
> So I have tried everything recommanded
> but I am completely stuck
> can anyone help me?
>

> when I want to upgrade/install a newer version of udev
> I get
> --------------
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct
> these:
>   hal: Depends: udev (>= 0.063) but 0.056-3 is to be
> installed
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with
> no packages (or specify a solution).
> -------------------------
>

> and when I want to install a newer kernel I get:
> ----------------------
> (Reading database ... 98255 files and directories
> currently installed.)
> Preparing to replace udev 0.056-3 (using
> .../archives/udev_0.065-1_i386.deb) ...udev requires a
> kernel >= 2.6.12, upgrade aborted.
> dpkg: error processing
> /var/cache/apt/archives/udev_0.065-1_i386.deb
> (--unpack): subprocess pre-installation script
> returned error exit status 1
> ----------------------
>
> how do I get out of this situation? this is getting
> really annoying
>

> Thanks
>
> Manu

> http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

well i can offer a temp solution. you'll need to create a file called
preferences in /etc/apt/

type the below in it:

Package: udev
Pin: version 0.056*
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: hal
Pin: version 0.4.8*
Pin-Priority: 1001

NOTE: this will force dpkpg/apt to ignore newer versions of these 2
packages. also, by doing this, other newer packages that require higher
versions of udev/hal will not be installed. alsa is an example.

i had this exact problem before, as i too run sid. it's a risk we all
take if we decide to run sid/unstable.