Re: OSS device "/dev/dsp" is already in use by another program

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005, Jon D. Irish wrote:

> I just finished compiling a 2.6.12.4 kernel to support the sound card in
> my Dell Optiplex GX270; however, when I try to play audio via Music
> Player, I keep getting a "OSS device "/dev/dsp" is already in use by
> another program" error. I have verified that there are no other programs
> running at the time, so what else would be using the device?

'lsof /dev/dsp' should give you that info.

Try this if you want OSS (Open Sound System) software to behave nicely with
ALSA:
  apt-get install alsa-oss
then run your old OSS software (ie. realplay) like so:
  aoss realplay

This will allow ALSA to do the mixing on a multi-channel card.  (You can
also get ALSA to do software mixing if your card needs it -- google for
"alsa dmix".)

-- Brad