Re: daisy-chaining internet connectivity

bob@proulx.com (Bob Proulx) writes:

> Terrence Brannon wrote:
>> Bob Proulx writes:
>> > Yes.  Very easily as a matter of fact.  Install a wired network card
>>
>> I believe I have one. The output of lspci shows a Realtek card. Is
>> this what you mean? Otherwise, please recommend a popular brand.
>
> Yes.  A Realtek is quite popular.  If you are running discover from
> Sarge it will autodetect this and load the 8139too driver.  (On Woody
> without discover you would need to specify this manually in
> /etc/modules.)
>
> With a Realtek device available you should be ready to go.

ok. great.

>> > It can gateway the data to your wired network.  In this mode it will
>> > function as a router.  The wireless interface will be the WAN
>>
>> WAN means wireless area network or wide area network?
>
> Wide Area Network.  The Internet.  As opposed to Local Area Network.
> Your private network.

Understood.

>> > * Ensure that packet forwarding is in place.  Use either a firewall
>> >   package or do this yourself with low level commands.
>> >
>> >     echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Ok, I did this echo cmd with no prob

Now it appears that it is time to setup dhcp on my laptop. There
appear to be 3 choices in Debian testing: dhcp, dhcp3-server and
udhcpd. Do you have any reccomendations for any of these?

pool-71-109-151-76:/proc/sys/net/ipv4# cat ip_forward
1
pool-71-109-151-76:/proc/sys/net/ipv4# apt-cache search dhcp | grep
server
bootp - server for the bootp protocol with DHCP support
dhcp - DHCP server for automatic IP address assignment
dhcp3-dev - API for accessing and modifying the DHCP server and client
state
dhcp3-server - DHCP server for automatic IP address assignment
dhis-server - Dynamic Host Information System - server
dnsmasq - A small caching DNS proxy and DHCP server.
resolvconf - nameserver information handler
udhcpd - very small DHCP server
pool-71-109-151-76:/proc/sys/net/ipv4#