Re: daisy-chaining internet connectivity

Terrence Brannon wrote:
> Bob Proulx writes:
> > Yes.  Very easily as a matter of fact.  Install a wired network card
>
> I believe I have one. The output of lspci shows a Realtek card. Is
> this what you mean? Otherwise, please recommend a popular brand.

Yes.  A Realtek is quite popular.  If you are running discover from
Sarge it will autodetect this and load the 8139too driver.  (On Woody
without discover you would need to specify this manually in
/etc/modules.)

With a Realtek device available you should be ready to go.

> > > in the same machine that currently has a wireless network connection.
> > It can gateway the data to your wired network.  In this mode it will
> > function as a router.  The wireless interface will be the WAN
>
> WAN means wireless area network or wide area network?

Wide Area Network.  The Internet.  As opposed to Local Area Network.
Your private network.

> > use 192.168.1.1 on the LAN.  If your outside
> >   address is already 192.168.* then use 10.0.0.1 on your LAN side.
> >   Just make sure they are different.
>
> Looks like 10* for the LAN side.

Yep.  (There is nothing really magical about these numbers.  Just as
long as you use differnet subnets between them.  And I find it less
confusing if they are quite different.  So I suggested a 10.* address.
As opposed to slightly different such as a 192.168.2.* address.  But
any of the rfc1918 private addresses should be fine.)

> > * Ensure that packet forwarding is in place.  Use either a firewall
> >   package or do this yourself with low level commands.
> >
> >     echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>
> I'm a KDE kiddie, so whatever tool pops up for it do this is my
> preference.

You might ask the list for recommendations on firewall software with a
kde flavor and gui.  I don't know of any because I don't use kde
myself.

Bob