Re: How can I configure debian, to boot to a text mode login (new Debian user)

Michael Marsh wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Then Alt-F7 gets you back to the graphical environment.
>
> As an aside, on my system X shows up on Alt-F9.  I have no idea why
> this is so, since I didn't do anything special to cause it not to
> appear on 7, but there you have it.

Unless configured to a specific virtual terminal X will start on the
first available one.  Normally /etc/inittab configures VTs 1-6 with a
getty and so the first available is 7.  On your system if you have
configured additional terminals or if some other program is attaching
to them the first available terminal will be pushed later in the
list.

I am guessing you have two more terminals configured in /etc/inittab.
But it could also be another program running.  (I sometimes run
multiple X displays and so the second is on 8 and the third is on 9
and so forth.)

Bob