Re: Postfix configuration

Uwe Dippel wrote:

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 10:18:02 +1000, bml@bookcellar.com.au wrote:

Postfix is not one single package. For example I have (dpkg-query -- list | grep postfix):
postfix        2.1.5-9        A high-performance mail transport agent
postfix-doc    2.1.5-9        Postfix documentation
postfix-mysql  2.1.5-9        MYSQL map support for Postfix
postfix-pcre   2.1.5-9        PCRE map support for Postfix

Thanks for the answer; though unconvincing. Don't see any reason why we
have a castrated package and no obvious way to get a full one. Yes, I
tried dpkg-reconfigure, but it never proposed a full install.
I saw the postfix-doc, but I don't really need it. vi main.cf usually
gets me where I want.
I don't want MySQL neither, so why install ? I don't need perl-stuff,
neither. So why install ?
I would understand a cut-down /etc/postfix with a full one elsewhere; but
then reconfigure should ask and enable it.

He, am I the only one missing transport maps and stuff ??

You can check http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html for main.cf
options.

I know this URL. "Why make things easy when you can make them complicated
?" It is much easier to find all options in an option file; with empty
fields or commented; then an empty option file and up to the user to
search, find and copy & paste these options into the options file and set
them properly. Really wonder who invented this folly !?
I understand your frustration, I am not long to Debian and I only set up postfix a couple of weeks back. Looking back I was frustrated that I didn't really know what packages contained what, or what I needed to install to get the funtionality I needed. Just the other day trying to get clamav to scan emails sent to it from postfix I was beating my head against the wall trying to figure out how to get clamav to listen on port 1002x where postfix expects it. In the end I discovered the clamsmtp package. It also doesn't help that most/many howto documents on the web assume you have all the funtionality you need with one install (as per some other distro's).

I do however like it this way now that I know a bit more about how it works. It does reduce uneeded functionality (and therfore improving security) and keeps down package sizes.

Brett