Re: Broken /var filesystem

Joey Hess wrote:

David A. Cobb wrote:
I found a huge problem with my /var filesystem. Or, at least, fsck was going to take all day and more fixing 11 inode block numbers each pass. It's supposed to be possible to clean /var, or at least FHS suggests so.

Not really, it only says you can delete data from /var/cache.

So, I re-initialized /var.

Welcome to a nearly endless world of pain. Where are your backups, BTW?

Can anyone identify what directories and files dpkg requires to exist?

/var/lib/dpkg/status (empty)
Didn't seem to help.  Scr** it!  Back to the CD's

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.