Broken /var filesystem

I found a huge problem with my /var filesystem. Or, at least, fsck was going to take all day and more fixing 11 inode block numbers each pass. It's supposed to be possible to clean /var, or at least FHS suggests so. And it was messing me up horribly anyway. So, I re-initialized /var.

One of the things that vanished, of course, is dpkg/apt's memory of what is installed. Right now, dpkg doesn't think dpkg is installed! Everything runs, until it needs to refer to the database. I googled around, and found some similar reports. The proposed cure involved installing 'mawk' and 'dpkg' with '--force-depends.' Then I should be able to re-install libc6, on which nearly everything depends.

However, before I can get to that point, I get " unable to create updated files list file for package mawk: No such file or directory". So, it looks as though I need to manually re-create at least one more directory. I checked the "contents.gz" files, but they only mention files that are actually present in the tarball, not those created by the installation scripts. I think, if I can get past this, I can get dpkg to re-install itself and that will cure whatever other things are destroyed.

Can anyone identify what directories and files dpkg requires to exist?

David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.
Free at last!  Free at last!  Using Linux, I'm FREE at last!
Life is too short to tolerate crappy software!