Re[2]: broken lilo ("li" only on reboot) after woody -> sarge upgrade

Thanks Bob,

BP> Even if you think you only tweaked X if this is your behavior there
BP> must have been some other change to the boot sequence.  Because
BP> changing X would not affect boot.  (And if I were changing X I would
BP> not have rebooted personally because they are not related.)

No, I agree on both/all counts so I am rather baffled.  I was
rebooting just to see what happened with the boot prompt on the
machine with the X tweaks.

BP> After booting from the install disk, using alt-f2 to get to a prompt,
... Debug why
BP> lilo is having problems and fix them.  Rerun lilo

Well I was rather lame on the debugging but otherwise did as you
advise.  Thanks again!

BP> Personally I recommend grub because it is very much more dynamic at
BP> handling these types of boot issues.  For example, at the grub boot
BP> prompt you could edit any of your boot parameters.

Yes, I think I'll now look very hard at grub

BP> You would be looking for something that you did but did not know you
BP> did.
Quite so: I remain stumped but ...

BP> But not a huge deal in any case.  Boot the recover disk, mount
BP> the system, rerun lilo and debug the problem.  You will be back up and
BP> running soon.

As you say.  So good always to know that people are out on debian-user
when things do go wrong.

Chris