broken lilo ("li" only on reboot) after woody -> sarge upgrade

I've just upgraded my "store" machine (behind my firewall) from woody to sarge and my
firewall following the instructions.  The store machine rebooted fine
at first but then, after some tweaks to X, I rebooted again and the
boot is hanging at "LI".  I can get into the machine with a woody boot
CD (or a sarge netinst CD - but that only seems to give me a very
limited shell on alt-F2) and with the woody boot I can mount the /dev/hda2 drive
that had the system on it and I'm sure that with some help I can
repair whatever's wrong with lilo.  However, I'd love to have some
suggestions about what I should look for and how best to try to get
things working right again.

Incidentally, I followed the upgrade instructions to the letter,
haven't knowingly switched from lilo to grub and haven't, knowingly,
changed kernel.

TIA,

Chris