Re: Cannot enable executable stack

Nils Durner wrote:
> > > cannot enable executable stack as shared object requires: Error 14

> #uname -a
> Linux 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Fri Jun 7 06:12:37 UTC 2002 i586 GNU/Linux

That is the problem.  The 2.4.18-bf2.4 is a Woody kernel.  Woody to
Sarge is supported.  And Sarge to Etch/Sid is supported.  But Woody to
Etch/Sid is two major releases apart and not supported.

> Do you think switching to another kernel would help?

Definitely.  Install at least a Sarge kernel and you should be working
again.  The Sarge 2.4.27 should work fine.  Personally I am using the
2.6 kernel series.  (Except where Debian only supports 2.4 such as the
k6 machine upon which I am typing this message.)

Note that 2.4.18-bf2.4 is a bootstrapping kernel (bf means
bootfloppies here) and has all of the modules compiled in.  But the
release tuned for your architecture kernels are modular kernels.
Which means they need an initrd (initial ram disk) and the right
modules loaded.  This means the appropriate lilo bootloader changes if
using lilo.  (I recommend and use grub.)  If you find that you can't
talk to a network card or some such then a module not being loaded is
the likely problem.

In Sarge the 'discover' and 'hotplug' programs are most useful to
automatically detect the hardware and load the right modules.  That is
the default on a Sarge installation.  But if upgrading from Woody you
will probably want to install those explicitly.  And lastly, when
running a linux 2.6 kernel the 'udev' package enhances the system
nicely.

Bob