oocalc does not directly import .dat files

Hi all
My problem could be that I am using wrong software to do this. So I will explain the problem and tell how I am currently doing it. If there are better alternatives (read as less keystrokes) I would like to use it.

Let's say I print three arrays of data using a fortran 90 program (or any other high level language for that matter).

0.1   0.2   0.3
0.4   0.5   0.6
0.7   0.8   0.9

First row contains the first array, second row contains second array, third row contains third array. This way I just have to write one function to print the array and call it three times with different arguments.

But if I want to visualize this data using gnuplot (my favorite plotting tool), I have to print the data as

0.1   0.4   0.7
0.2   0.5   0.8
0.3   0.6   0.9

so that I can plot first column vs second column etc., This is so because, gnuplot supports plotting only columns.

So now I have to find a software which will transpose the data file. I thought oocalc can do it. But my data files usually have a .dat extension (not .csv extension). So If I do

oocalc temp.dat

then it will be loaded in oowriter which is not what I intend to do.

So my questions are

1) Is there any other plotting tool which can plot across rows?
2) If this software is not gnuplot, any comparison with gnuplot would be very helpful in choosing it over gnuplot. 3) Is there any other spreadsheet program which has builtin capability to transpose the data? and load the .dat files and save them as .dat files even after manipulation (ie no complicated xml format just pure numbers and spaces)? I can always write a script/program to do this (by python or Fortran 90 etc.,) But a GUI program like spread sheet would be nice. I am looking for an easy interface.
4) Any other relevant suggestions are also welcome.

thanks in advance
raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi