Re: oocalc does not directly import .dat files

On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 08:41:54PM -0400, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
> Hi all
>   My problem could be that I am using wrong software to do this. So I
> will explain the problem and tell how I am currently doing it. If there
> are better alternatives (read as less keystrokes) I would like to use it.
>
> Let's say I print three arrays of data using a fortran 90 program (or
> any other high level language for that matter).
>

> 0.1   0.2   0.3
> 0.4   0.5   0.6
> 0.7   0.8   0.9
>
> First row contains the first array, second row contains second array,
> third row contains third array. This way I just have to write one
> function to print the array and call it three times with different
> arguments.
>
> But if I want to visualize this data using gnuplot (my favorite plotting
> tool), I have to print the data as
>
> 0.1   0.4   0.7
> 0.2   0.5   0.8
> 0.3   0.6   0.9
>
> so that I can plot first column vs second column etc., This is so
> because, gnuplot supports plotting only columns.
>
> So now I have to find a software which will transpose the data file. I
> thought oocalc can do it. But my data files usually have a .dat
> extension (not .csv extension). So If I do
>
> oocalc temp.dat
>
> then it will be loaded in oowriter which is not what I intend to do.
>
> So my questions are
>
> 1) Is there any other plotting tool which can plot across rows?
> 2) If this software is not gnuplot, any comparison with gnuplot would be
> very helpful in choosing it over gnuplot.
> 3) Is there any other spreadsheet program which has builtin capability
> to transpose the data? and load the .dat files and save them as .dat
> files even after manipulation (ie no complicated xml format just pure
> numbers and spaces)?
> I can always write a script/program to do this (by python or Fortran 90
> etc.,) But a GUI program like spread sheet would be nice. I am looking
> for an easy interface.
> 4) Any other relevant suggestions are also welcome.

Hi Raju,
I'd do:
perl transpose-matrix.pl temp.dat > temp.cvs
use gnuplot on temp.cvs to make graph.

have you RTFM to make sure you can not fiddle with gnuplot to do this or maybe ask on a
gnuplot ML?
cheers,
Kev
--
counter.li.org #238656 -- goto counter.li.org and be counted!