Re: mouse freezes after reboot (Sarge)

Søren Christensen wrote:

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 09:23:37PM +0200, steef wrote:
Søren Christensen wrote:

I've just installed Deb-Sarge, and having some troubles making my mouse
work correct.

I've set it up through dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86, but the mouse
is frozen after reboot, I can't move it.

Mouse-model: PS2, 2 button and scrollwheel as third (middle) button.

I've used psaux, Imps2.

It worked for a while, but it has been rather unstable.

any suggestions?

best regards
Søren

hi soren,

know the problem. work with psaux/imps2 too. work now with testing, earlier with sarge.

did as root dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86. on the end of all the questions i installed fourteen modules as asked; like this: 1 2 3 etc. these modules seem i.c. under testing not to load automatically like under woody (and potato??) in earlier times.

after the explicit loading of these fourteen modules the problem of the freezing mouse *seems* to be gone (it is working right now)

yes, *seems*,  because i did this two hours ago.

maybe worth a try?? i am curious if this works on your machine. i consider this freezing as a serious problem i never encountered tiil sarge became stable.

I've done a dpkg-reconfigure several times, thirteen of the fourteen
modules was suggested by computer, so I stuck with them (omitting xtt -
teletype fonts for X?) Choosing the last module also didn't change anything, a reboot gave me a frozen mouse once again, after a new reconfiguring af the xserver and a new reboot the mouse was again.

I have a Nvidia Graphics Card, I've downloaded Nvidia own driver, not
yet installed, perhaps that will helt, the installation instructions
says something about de-choosing some of the modules.

thanks for your reply
Søren

hello soeren, after some time,

have tried -trial and error- to eliminate the possiblities of the cause of my unpredictable unstable PS2 mouse (ImPS/2).

last time it froze was while compiling mplayer (from the hungarian site. some trouble too before, when scrolling mozilla and firefox (flash and java and kaffeine-plugin included) *but* that seems to disappear when i got rid of an earlier install (also compiled) of mplayer. to get things really straight: i installed 'pure' sarge/stable instead of testing)on a spare hd, kernel 2.4.27-2-i386, precompiled. so it seems there is some bug (?) in mplayer that causes this problem on my machine, with some indication of a possible generalization of this problem to other machines like yours. by the way: other ps2 mice (of my youngest son and the computer of my wife are freezing too.

this is not conclusive, i know. but i am leaving for a holiday tomorrow and i will prceed searching the first of september. maybe you have got some news by now? for the time being i went back from ImPS/2 to PS/S in etc/xxx.

kind regards,

steef van duin

groningen
holland