Re: mouse freezes after reboot (Sarge)

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 12:59:05PM +0200, steef wrote:
> Søren Christensen wrote:

> >>hi soren,
> >>
> >>know the problem. work with psaux/imps2 too. work now with testing,
> >>earlier with sarge.
> >>
> >>did as root dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86. on the end of all the
> >>questions i installed fourteen modules as asked; like this: 1 2 3 etc.
> >>these modules seem i.c. under testing not to load automatically like
> >>under woody (and potato??) in earlier times.
> >>
> >>after the explicit loading of these fourteen modules the problem of the
> >>freezing mouse *seems* to be gone (it is working right now)
> >>
> >>yes, *seems*,  because i did this two hours ago.
> >>
> >>maybe worth a try?? i am curious if this works on your machine. i
> >>consider this freezing as a serious problem i never encountered tiil
> >>sarge became stable.
> >>

> >I've done a dpkg-reconfigure several times, thirteen of the fourteen
> >modules was suggested by computer, so I stuck with them (omitting xtt -
> >teletype fonts for X?) Choosing the last module also didn't change
> >anything, a reboot gave me a frozen mouse once again, after a new
> >reconfiguring af the xserver and a new reboot the mouse was again.
> >
> >I have a Nvidia Graphics Card, I've downloaded Nvidia own driver, not
> >yet installed, perhaps that will helt, the installation instructions
> >says something about de-choosing some of the modules.
> >
> >thanks for your reply
> >Søren
> >

> hello soeren, after some time,
>
> have tried -trial and error- to eliminate the possiblities of the cause
> of my unpredictable unstable PS2 mouse (ImPS/2).
>
> last time it froze was while compiling mplayer (from the hungarian site.
> some trouble too before, when scrolling mozilla and firefox (flash and
> java and kaffeine-plugin included) *but* that seems to disappear when i
> got rid of an earlier install (also compiled) of mplayer.
> to get things really straight: i installed 'pure' sarge/stable instead
> of testing)on a spare hd, kernel 2.4.27-2-i386, precompiled. so it seems
> there is some bug (?) in mplayer that causes this problem on my machine,
> with some indication of a possible generalization of this problem to
> other machines like yours.
> by the way: other ps2 mice (of my youngest son and the computer of my
> wife are freezing too.
>
> this is not conclusive, i know. but i am leaving for a holiday tomorrow
> and i will prceed searching the first of september. maybe you have got
> some news by now?  for the time being i went back from ImPS/2 to PS/S in
> etc/xxx.
>
> kind regards,
>
> steef van duin
>
> groningen
> holland

Thanks for your inputs, I think we have similar symptons -- unstable
mouse -- but my problem is not were your problem is.

I did a trial and error experiment too. Right now the mouse, keyboard
and screen is connected to the computer via a switch, so two different
computers can utilize the same mouse etc.

After connecting the mouse, keyboard and screen directly to the
Linux-box the problem seased (after an extra reboot, and reconfiguring
of xserver-xfree86). So now I need to rearrange my office, so I can
completely disconnect the two computers.

Thanks for listening

/Søren