Can't get more than 1024x768 even with the on-board card properly detected (XFree86+KDE 3.3)

Hi

I finally installed Sarge (dual boot with WinXP) on a P4 with an D865GBF
Intel Motherboard using packages downloaded from a previous installation on
another older PC (via jigdo, which worked fine)

I have a few pending details to adjust, but one of them I eluding me...

Post install and with KDE 3.3 up and running fine, I run dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86

to adjust some X settings.

The script made a wonderful job at detecting my video and monitor hardware
(an On-board AGP with 64Mb and a 15" Phillips) so it proposed itself the
right configuration (as I could see becasue the actual names were shown to
me); thus, I choosen resolutions higher than 1024x768, which I know the card
and monitor handles nicely becasue I use 1152x864 in WinXP and it does work
up to 1280x1024 -except that *I* can't read anything there-.

I only get at most 1024x768 in KDE 3.3 (and I think in gdm too) (in fact,
the pulldown menu shows just up to this resolution)

How can I fix this?

Related note: I see I have both XF86Config and XF86Config-4.. which one is
my system using? How can I tell? Why are there both?

TIA

Fernando Cacciola