Re: sarge, kernel 2.6.12.3, and sound

On 8/4/05, Steven Pasternak <stevenp500@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Hi! I have sarge, with kernel 2.4.27-2-k7. I upgraded to a 2.6.12.3
> using sarge's 2.6.8 config, but now I don't have sound. /dev/{dsp,mixer}
> are gone. I have the "use OSS API" set under "Device
> Drivers->Sound->Advanced Linux Sound Architecture" Is that bad? I
> installed alsa-base and alsa-utils and ran '/etc/init.d/alsa start', but
> still no devices. What's up? Thanks!
> -Steven

I've heard something about sysfs format changes requiring a new udev -
perhaps you could try installing the udev in sid, if you've got an
older version installed? Note that this new udev will not work with
kernels older than 2.6.12, so if you downgrade the kernel you'll need
to downgrade udev as well.