Re: Can't get more than 1024x768 even with the on-board card properly detected (XFree86+KDE 3.3)

> I only get at most 1024x768 in KDE 3.3 (and I think in gdm too) (in fact,
> the pulldown menu shows just up to this resolution)
>
> How can I fix this?
>
> Related note: I see I have both XF86Config and XF86Config-4.. which one is
> my system using? How can I tell? Why are there both?

IIRC, X 4.x uses XF86Config-4 first, and if it can't find
it uses XF86Config.

What version of X do you have?

I've had pretty good luck on newish chipsets and lcd
displays by ...

1. have only one of XF86Config-4 and XF86Config (I use -4)

2. comment out the Modes line in XF86Config-4 and add one
that has *only* the native res.

3. Upgrade X to the one from testing or unstable (i.e. one
that's likely to recognize and understand the ideosyncracies
of more chipsets)

#1 might fix it, or you may have to go to #2 or #3.  If #3
doesn't work, try a Modes line that has one of the more
conventional resolutions (example: my Dell has a native rez
of 1920x1200 but I had to run it at 1600x1200 [black on
sides] till I got the special nvidia module).