Re: udev - easy setup ?

On Tuesday 02 August 2005 18:07, Uwe Dippel <udippel@uniten.edu.my>
(<[🔎] pan.2005.08.03.00.07.53.344090@uniten.edu.my>) wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 09:37:36 -0600, Jules Dubois wrote
>
>>   BUS="usb", SYSFS{product}="NEC USB UF000x", NAME="%k",
>>        SYMLINK="usb-floppy"
>>
>>   BUS="usb", SYSFS{manufacturer}="KINGSTON     ",
>>        SYSFS{product}="DATA TRAVELER", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="usbhd%n"
>>
> Thanks, but this is exactly how far I had gone myself (whatever I posted).
> Though, as you pointed out (and I had pointed out in the first post): I am
> not interested to recognise this particular NEC floppy or a Kingston
> thumb drive.

I've skimmed some official documents and some Apple developer documents, and
my non-expert opinion is you cannot do what you want with complete
reliability.  The USB specification does not appear to support any "device
type" (i.e., floppy, flash drive, CD-ROM, etc.) information; what I find is
support for some device characteristics and protocols.

If it were me and I didn't have to support a large number of different
devices, I'd use rules the the ones above and add new rules as I came
across new devices.