Re: udev - easy setup ?

On Tuesday 02 August 2005 04:13, Uwe Dippel <udippel@uniten.edu.my>
(<[🔎] pan.2005.08.02.10.12.57.11235@uniten.edu.my>) wrote:

> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:52:46 -0600, Jules Dubois wrote:
>
>> Mount your devices as you've done previously, so that they're sda1 and
>> sdi1. Then run
>>
>>   udevinfo -a -p $(udevinfo -q path -n /dev/sda)
> [udevinfo output]
>>   udevinfo -a -p $(udevinfo -q path -n /dev/sdi)
> [udevinfo output]

> Still, I have no clue what now makes the *characteristic* difference
> between USB-floppy and thumb-drive and could be coded ?

I have an incomplete idea.

You posted output for two devices, an NEC floppy and a Kingston thumb drive.
For these two specifically, try the following rules.  I wrapped them by
hand and you may need to unwrap them; I copied the data items verbatim from
your udevinfo output.

  BUS="usb", SYSFS{product}="NEC USB UF000x", NAME="%k",
       SYMLINK="usb-floppy"

  BUS="usb", SYSFS{manufacturer}="KINGSTON     ",
       SYSFS{product}="DATA TRAVELER", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="usbhd%n"

This should put your floppy device at /etc/usb-floppy and one (or more)
Kingston-brand thumb drive(s) at /etc/usbhd0 (and usbhd1, etc.)

It's obviously not a general solution.  My guess is that a general solution
requires using the output of the section containing  DRIVER="usb-storage"
and I don't know nearly enough about something -- almost certainly USB --
to say more.

Since it looks like an interesting problem, I'll look into it further, if
you like.