upgrade from python2.3 to python2.4

Hello,

I downloaded a game sudoku recently but I'm having troubles installing
it. It requires Python 2.4 or higher and when I downloaded it first
Python 2.3 was on my system. So I searched in aptitude if I can
upgrade it and I found Python 2.4 - so I installed it. Tried to
install the sudoku application but a message

Error: Python-2.4 or newer is required. Current version:
 2.3.5 (#2, Jun 19 2005, 13:28:00)
[GCC 3.3.6 (Debian 1:3.3.6-6)]

comes out.So I'm not sure what exactly to do in order to upgrade from
Python2.3 to Python2.4. I thought I could delete Python2.3 package
once I had installed Python2.4 but I'm afraid to pursue with this
since I get many broken packages then and gnome-desktop-environment
depends on Python2.3 so I really don't want to play with my desktop
environment (GNOME, X Window server), I don't know, I'm not very sure
about these things as I have had a nightmare setting up my desktop
environment and I really depend on it if you know what I mean.

I would appreciate any help you can give.

Thank you,
Dom