Re: Equivalent to MailWasherPro, windows version?

On (02/08/05 20:05), Dom wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm searching for a MailWasherPro (for Windows) equivalent for my new
> Linux Debian environment. That's a mail filter software that works
> kind of like this:
>
> It downloads only headers and first 20 lines of every email message
> from a server so that you can manually choose what to delete and what
> to leave on the server in order to be able to download them with your
> regular mail client later.
> There's also an option of building "friend's list", "blacklist" and
> "mail filter rules" so that MailWasherPro can automatically check
> specific email messages for deletion or something else.
>
> I just want to be able to check and filter my mail and download only
> the one I need since I get a lot of SPAM everyday and I don't feel
> very comfortable letting an automatic mail filter that "learns my
> preferences and gets smarter with time" to do this job for me. Nor I
> want to deal with downloading with all that SPAM that I don't need
> first and then determining what I want to delete.

There is a Mac/Linux version of mailwasher:
http://www.firetrust.com/firetrustmailwasherpro_maclinux.html

However, you may find some of the debian packages for dealing with
spam/viruses better.

clamav/spamassassin/exim4 with sa-exim is tuneable and the default
rejection threshold is high and you have control over how much and when
you reduce it.

Mailfilter is good for blocking specific threats but requires ongoing
maintenance if it is to be effective.  Other solutions take a little
more effort to set up but once set up pretty much run themselves.

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...