devices" section.

after boot, i have appropriate(?) lines in dmesg:
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.8 (Thu Jan 13
09:39:32 2005 UTC).
via82xx: Assuming DXS channels with 48k fixed sample rate.
         Please try dxs_support=1 or dxs_support=4 option
         and report if it works on your machine.
ALSA device list:
  #0: VIA 8237 with ALC658 at 0xe600, irq 22

then, i can use my soundcard via OSS (how come? i didn't compile the OSS
in. is it coming from the emulation?) strangely, only root can access
the mixer (/dev/mixer) and dsp (/dev/dsp), although my user is a member
of the correct group (audio) that owns the files in /dev. changing permissions of these 2 files to 666 helps.
why adding user to a group doesn't solve it?

i tried alsaconf to find my card - didn't find anything. also, alsamixer
fails:
function sdl_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory

what's going on here? do i need to remove the abovementioned OSS
emulation parts of the kernel and compile them as modules? or does the
problem lie somewhere else? the answer is probably obvious, but i can't
see it...

thank you for any hint.

best regards,

--