Re: X.org Troubles: XMMS Errors Out, GnuCash Rendering Slow

On Sun, Jul 31, 2005 at 08:59:58PM -0700, ewhac wrote:
> 	Everything seemed to work fine, and life went on.  However, some
> time later, I noted that XMMS would no longer launch.  The error message is:
>
> ----
> bash$ xmms
> Message: device: default
> Gdk-ERROR **: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
>   serial 171 error_code 8 request_code 2 minor_code 0
> ----
> [ ... ]
> 	I've also noted another issue with GnuCash:  It's repainting its UI
> very slowly, as if it's using CPU-based rendering for everything.
> Everything seems to work fine; it's just really slow.
>
> 	If I had to guess, I'd say that one of the library upgrades left
> certain apps unable to find a compatible X visual mode, [ ... ]

	Found it!  It turns out I was almost right.  It wasn't the libs, it
was the composite extension in X.org which adds new visuals to the reported
list.  Some apps don't deal with this very well.

	Solution:  Prevent X from enumerating the additional visuals.  This
is done by setting the environment variable XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS to 1.
Thus, 'xmms' could be launched by saying:

----
bash$ XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 xmms
----

	The same approach gets GnuCash running at full speed, too.

	Original reference:

	http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Xorg_X11_and_Transparency#Enabling_shadows_and_real_transparency
	(near the bottom)

					Schwab