Re: Debian Sarge with 2.6.8 V.S. Canon Powershot A520

Apparently, _Dan R. Hunt_, on 31/07/05 17:34,typed:
> I am running Sarge with a 2.6.8-2-k7 Kernel and I want to view/copy
> the pictures on my new Canon Powershot A520 in via the USB cable and
> gthumb or similar GUI.
>
> I need advice, how do I get 'this camera' working?  I have been
> removing the media card and putting the card into a media reader card
> reader on a USB port, but the convenience of plugging in the camera is
> what I'm looking for.
>
> I have found "Libgphoto 2-2.1.6" from
> http://gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php
> has support for my camera.
>
> But the versions available via apt-get from debian.org
> http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=Libgphoto&searchon=all&subword=1&version=all&release=all
> do not include my precious Canon Powershot A520
>
> Backports.org
> http://www.backports.org/debian/dists/woody/libgphoto2/binary-i386/
> has backports for woody.
>
> I expanded the file I found
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=8874&release_id=337127
> into a /home/me/ directory and ran the install script, but that did not
> work. Gthumb uses the other also installed version of Libgphoto.

I have this working quite satisfactorily in my Sarge Testing running
2.6.11-1-686.

What I do is just connect the camera to the USB port of the computer and
 then run gtkam from the Applications->Graphics menu in Gnome and it
automatically detects the camera and lists the directories in it. Note
that unlike other relatively older cameras, it does not recognize it as
A520 but only USB PTP Class Camera; I am sure this will be corrected in
future versions of gtkam or libgphoto2. anyhow, even without the actual
name appearing on the detected camera, the gtkam is fully functional.
This is in gnome, if you want I can test it out in KDE as well though I
believe it will work in KDE (with kamera?) too.

->HS
PS: Packages I have in Sarge Testing:
$>  dpkg -l gthumb gtkam gnome-desktop-env* udev hal gnome-volume*
*gphoto* | grep ^i
ii  gthumb         2.6.3-1.1      an image viewer and browser for GNOME2
ii  gtkam          0.1.12-2.1     GTK+ application for digital still cameras
ii  gnome-desktop- 64             The GNOME Desktop Environment
ii  udev           0.056-3        /dev/ management daemon
ii  hal            0.4.8-1        Hardware Abstraction Layer
ii  gnome-volume-m 1.2.1-1        GNOME daemon to auto-mount and manage
media
ii  gphoto2        2.1.5-1        The gphoto2 digital camera
command-line clie
ii  libgphoto2-2   2.1.6-1        gphoto2 digital camera library
ii  libgphoto2-por 2.1.6-1        gphoto2 digital camera port library

--
Please remove the underscores ( the '_' symbols) from my email address
to obtain the correct one. Apologies, but the fudging is to remove spam.