Debian Sarge with 2.6.8 V.S. Canon Powershot A520

I am running Sarge with a 2.6.8-2-k7 Kernel and I want to view/copy
the pictures on my new Canon Powershot A520 in via the USB cable and
gthumb or similar GUI.

I need advice, how do I get 'this camera' working?  I have been
removing the media card and putting the card into a media reader card
reader on a USB port, but the convenience of plugging in the camera is
what I'm looking for.

I have found "Libgphoto 2-2.1.6" from
http://gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php
has support for my camera.

But the versions available via apt-get from debian.org
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=Libgphoto&searchon=all&subword=1&version=all&release=all
do not include my precious Canon Powershot A520

Backports.org
http://www.backports.org/debian/dists/woody/libgphoto2/binary-i386/
has backports for woody.

I expanded the file I found
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=8874&release_id=337127
into a /home/me/ directory and ran the install script, but that did not
work. Gthumb uses the other also installed version of Libgphoto.

--
Dan Hunt  Saint Brieux Saskatchewan Canada