Problem with apache2 and SSL

Hi,

I've got apache2 installed, configured for all of my virtual domains
and everything is running fine.  Well, everything except for SSL.

I've created my cert with 'apache2-ssl-certificate' as well as by
hand.  Nothing I do ever seems to work, because as soon as I hitting
port 443, I get an error and in the logs, this:

[Sat Jul 30 16:43:52 2005] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Invalid method
in request \x80j\x01\x03\x01

I've googled this but can't come up with anything very informative.
Can anyone please help me?

Thanks,

Bryan