RE: Can't use CD-ROM driver after switching to 2.6.11

Title: RE: Can't use CD-ROM driver after switching to 2.6.11

----Original Message-----
From: Roberto C. Sanchez [mailto:roberto@familiasanchez.net]
Sent: Sun 7/31/2005 1:29 AM
To: Emre Sevinc
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Can't use CD-ROM driver after switching to 2.6.11

On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 11:47:05PM +0300, Emre Sevinc wrote:
>> Dear Debian experts,
>>
>> I was happily using my CD and DVD drives with kernel 2.4.18
>> but last week I had to upgrade to 2.6.11. I did not
>> compile my kernel, just used apt-get install and grabbed
>> the latest kernel image, now my system is:
>>
>--Snip lots of details--
>>
>> I'm stuck at the current situation.
>>
>> Maybe some Debian expert can tell me to get back my
>> CD-ROM drivers, mount them, cdplay them, etc.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

>ide-scsi is deprecated in 2.6 kernels.  You should use ide-cd instead.

Thanks a lot. I have removed it from the last line
of my /etc/modules. Now I can eject, mount, cdplay, etc.
my CDs.

However, I can't write to CD. I can write using kernel 2.4 but
when I boot with 2.6.11 and try that:

fz@debian:~/cdr-image$ cdrecord -v -dummy -eject  dev=/dev/hdc ~/cdr-image/cd.iso
cdrecord: No write mode specified.
cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent defaults.
cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Joerg Schilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
      Please send bug reports and support requests to <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
      The original author should not be bothered with problems of this version.

cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.11-1-686
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '/dev/hdc'
devname: '/dev/hdc'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'ubuntu-0.8ubuntu1'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial version of libscg (ubuntu-0.8ubuntu1 '@(#)scsitransp.c1.91 04/06/17 Copyright 1988,1995,2000-2004 J. Schilling').
SCSI buffer size: 64512
cdrecord: Cannot allocate memory. Cannot get SCSI I/O buffer.

One of my friends told me it may be related to these lines:

 Using libscg version 'ubuntu-0.8ubuntu1'.
 cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial version of libscg (ubuntu-0.8ubuntu1 '@(#)scsitransp.c1.91 04/06/17 Copyright 1988,1995,2000-2004 J.   Schilling').

So I tried to installed the latest version of cdrecord from the
usual, official, unstable Debian repository however apt-get tells
me that cdrecord is at its newest version.

How can I correct the situation? What modification (and how) should I
make to be able to write to CDs in 2.6.11?

Thanks in advance.